September 27, 2007

Is Truth What We Make It?

This last month has been hard on me. Before that I had been starting to get into a pattern of feeling frenzied about witnessing with a "gotta do this" attitude. The Lord has really been working on me. It's been hard - but good.

So last night when I went to the mall, I had hoped to be able to just sit and talk with someone in detail for an extended period of time instead of a few 5-10 minute conversations. The Lord gave me that desire...
I sat down to watch my children play in the children's area. There was a lady sitting next to me that looked like a nurse. Right away I asked her if she was a nurse and she just opened up to me about her job and schooling! It was really great.

She talked with me for awhile about her work as a certified nurse's assistant and so I was able to turn the conversation to spiritual matters with her job as a starting point. She was Catholic but wasn't able to explain much at all. It ended up coming down to her beliefs that our good outweighs our bad, that we're punished here on earth and that she would go to purgatory first. And, she said that she believes the Bible.

Those two statements contradict each other, though. Why? Because the Bible says that one sin sends us to hell (not a scale of good outweighing the bad), that there really is a place called 'hell', and purgatory isn't in the Bible (it is a Catholic, human tradition). I told her not to take my word for it but to go look it up and read her Bible. I presented the Gospel and then pointed her towards reading Romans and James. So, do we make truth? Or, does Truth make us? Read the words that the compass is pointing towards in the above picture!

There is so many other things that I thought about later that I could have told her, but, since I was praying before, during and after the conversation, I trust that the Lord worked His will through me.

-Sarah

1 comment:

Tony and Lisa said...

That woman was so blessed to have a spiritual conversation with someone who truly cares about her eternal future. She now knows the truth. I'm praying it will set her free!
You are a model of faithfulness to all of us.
-Lisa