July 4, 2007

Just Went to Watch

The following was written by Jeff C. (Sarah B.'s dad) as a letter to the co-leaders of the church they are trying to start. It is used with permission.

I went with Sarah, Matt and a few others from Cornerstone Church "fishing" in downtown CR this morning (lots of folks hangin' out for the Freedom Festival). I went because I felt I needed to, not because I wanted to. In fact Sarah and I have [had] some strained conversations lately. Probably the peak was earlier this week when she questioned if I was actually a Christian!

Of course, like any good father, I thought she was off base. After all she is intense (can't imagine where she gets some of that from) and young. But rather quickly I realized I delegated much of Sarah's teaching to Terry. Plus I'm not sure I clearly communicated the Gospel to her (or anyone else for that matter). And as I've talked about helping to start a seeker friendly church I think it concerned her that I was promoting happy mush talk (a common generalization from many Christian brothers and sisters).

But after seeing these folks talk to people today it is crystal clear, we need to get the message and approach right. Many of us Christians can get worked up about this and sometimes back away or go at it too strongly, but it ain't rocket science. And I was surprised to see it can be very relational! They really did an awesome job.

A few highlights...A few Christians seemed glad and affirmed, a guy who is a local on-air personality was given "101 of the World's Funniest One Liners" (I sort of know him and am going to follow-up), two guys were talked to together and one actually started sharing the Gospel with the other, and a Wicken lady (whatever that's about) seemed very interested. This is just a sample during about one hour of effort. Let's pray for some changed lives and eternity's.

Some possible next steps...First I don't think everyone needs to go through some mighty mega evangelism course. Nor do I feel we all need to go formally "fishing" daily, although for those with the gift of evangelism, some consistent "fishing" may satisfy their soul. It seems a good next step would be to simply watch someone share their faith. I asked Sarah if [the new church's leaders] could join her like I did today and she said she would be honored. It's a hoot. I just kept an eye on her kids, watched and listened. A no-brainer!

Then let's pray for direction. If nothing else, if we can naturally share as needed, we will be serving well. My sense is this can be simple and effective. We just need to be faithful. This is cooler than fireworks...hope you had a good 4th...

Jeff

ps...Sarah, pray about sharing this with your senior pastor. I've found that no matter how good something is, it is key the senior pastor is rock solid behind it and in it. Specifically I think you ought to invite him to watch you as I did....

1 comment:

Tony and Lisa said...

Thank you for your humble comments. We're all new at this and learning together. It is so out of my comfort zone! But God has blessed me as I've been willing to step out and trust Him to do it through me. What an awesome concept - letting the Holy Spirit do it!! It was fun getting to know you better today. Your daughter shares your passion and that is a cool heritage.
Lisa