July 5, 2007

Who Me???

I too went 'fishing' on the 4th.

There are some analogies to fishing as a kid that I can relate to - perhaps I'll share a couple of them.

I never liked fishing as a kid. The bait was messy. The fish were messy. And when you caught one, it wiggled around, flailing at you as you attempted to take it off the hook. Then you smelled like fish the rest of the day...

For me, 'fishing for men' is a little like that. It isn't something I would choose to do on my own. That, unfortunately, probably speaks volumes about me and about the vitality of my spiritual life. Although I enjoy having conversations with people (even those I don't know) - making the transition to discussing spiritual things is a challenge for me.

I can't put my finger on my fear. Is it that I care more about the way I look to others than I do about the souls of those dying around me? I'm not really sure. But like all things, I am finding that it gets easier each time I go.

For now I will give simple, silly "intelligence tests" and pass out tracts with "101 One Liners" because I can do that. And maybe in the future I can work up to actually sharing my faith with real words. But for now, for me, it is most definitely baby steps I'm taking, and praying that God will use my feeble efforts to bring a few more into His Kingdom.

-Tony

No comments: