July 31, 2007

Telemarketer

Because I have children, I can't "go out" witnessing as easily as I could if I didn't have children. But, I know that it is the Lord's will for my life to have children and I also know it is His will for me to share my faith so the two must be able to work hand-in-hand. During prayer earlier this afternoon, I asked Jesus to have someone call my house if He wanted me to talk to anyone today. Because of being on the Do Not Call list, I wasn't expecting anyone to call.

I got a call at about 4:30 p.m. from a young woman taking a bank survey. I couldn't hear her well at all. It sounded like she was whispering through a tunnel. Wonderful, I thought. How was this going to work? But, I said, "Sure, I'll take the 4 minute survey." That gave me time to get a feel for her voice so I could understand her a bit better.

When she was done with the survey, I asked her, "Can I ask you a question?"
Her, "Sure."
"If you were to die tonight, are you 100% sure you would go to Heaven?"
"No, I'm not."
"Did you say 'No, I'm not?" (Remember, I can barely hear her!)
"Yes, I did."
"Well, would you consider yourself to be a good person?"
"Yes."

[talking]

"Okay, so by your own admission, you are a lying, thieving, adulterer at heart and if God judges you by His standard on the day of judgement, would you be Innocent or guilty?"
"Guilty."
"Would you be going to Heaven or to Hell?"
"Hell."
"Does that concern you?"
"No."
"Did you say 'no'?"
"Yes."
Me, surprised, "So, you are telling me that if you died tonight, that you are not concerned that you would be going to hell?"

So, here is where I went wrong. I went on to start telling her about the Good News - Jesus - because I felt like I didn't want her to not hear it. But, I think God gave me this experience for learning. I think I understand the not throwing pearls to pigs thing better now. Because, she didn't want to hear about Jesus (she said she had to go) and I felt foolish afterwards giving her the Good News. I should have just stopped when she said she wasn't concerned (Ray Comfort and Mark Cahill, too, I think, tell you to reason with the person - but maybe they mean when the person is angry vs. just not caring).

I should have stopped when she said that it didn't concern her because I then came across as a "crazy religious person" at that point which could be a disservice to her if she writes off the stuff about her sins (instead of being convicted of her sinfulness).

So, the conversation went "well" in the here-and-now sense (I didn't get yelled at) although I think it could have gone badly in the eternal sense - for her at least. Maybe people actually do need to be either pissed off - angry or they need to be weeping at Jesus' feet?????????????? I'm going to search scripture about this. What is the consensus regarding this - what did Jesus do?

-Sarah

No comments: