August 1, 2007

Running Errands

Here is what I'm curious about... How do I go about my day as a stay-at-home mom with three children, ages three and younger, and still be a witness for Christ Jesus? So, today I was extra aware of opportunities around me when I went to an orthodontist (I used to have buck teeth and they are moving back again - yicks!) appointment, Walmart for diapers/photos and the Post Office for stamps. Here is what happened...

Dr. Orthodontist

Yicks, I was scared to talk with my orthodontist! I was sure praying hard! I thought about what I was going to say ahead of time but when I was sitting in the chair (my three children where at my feet reading books) I really didn't think I was going to do it. It is a miracle to me that I said anything at all so God must have really wanted him to hear what I was planning on saying!!! I said, "You've been doing this for so long in the same location that each day must just run into the next. You probably don't even remember specific days because of that." [talking] Then I said, "Well, I'm going to ask you a question now that you've probably never been asked before so you'll probably remember this day." [talking about being asked a lot of strange questions]

So, I asked, "When we die, what do you think is on the other side?" I couldn't believe I was asking him this... It was all very surreal. I was really scared. I went on to ask him, "How do you get to this place called Heaven [that you hope is there]?" He said something about living a good life and asked me if I have [lived a good life]. I said, "No." Then, and this is really interesting to me, he said something (kind of mumbling) to the effect of me knowing how to get there (remember, I've only asked questions) and when I questioned what he meant he said something like, "You know (like I really did know),... Jesus." Then it was time to go so I handed him the good person cartoon tract and he firmly and up-beat"ly" said that he would read it. I left more of the same tracts with the girls in the office as I was leaving and they thanked me.

Wally World

So, off to the "world of wally" for diapers and to pick up my photo order. As we were getting out of the van, two people were getting into their van next to us so I handed the lady a good person cartoon tract by asking, "Did you get one of these yet?" She said, "No [I didn't]. Thank you." Painless.

I handed the photo guy (who also checked me out) a billion dollar bill and said, "Here's a tip. There is a billion dollar question on the back." Pretty painless and a seed was planted even with three children in tow.

As we were leaving, I handed the door lady a good person cartoon tract and said, "I always walk by you and wanted to give this to you. It probably gets boring standing here all day so this will give you something to read." She was very positive and thanked me.

Post Office (I can't think of a cute heading - haha)

First, I put a "Pope Collectible" tract on the car next to mine. Once inside I left a God Has a Wonderful Plan for Your Life tract on the counter for customers to get their stuff together. I bought my stamps (and my oldest bought a little mail truck) and left a Smart Card with the mail man by saying, "Here is something fun for you to do when you have a break." As I turned around I saw a man looking down at the Wonderful Plan tract I had left on the counter but even though he looked like he wanted to pick it up, we were all watching him so he didn't. I felt bad about that and regretted not handing him one.

As I walked out the door I handed another man a Wonderful Plan tract (I was running out of tracts - I usually save these for specific types of people but I trust that God works these things out) by saying, "Sir, did you get one of these?" Easy. Then I got the children in the car and decided to leave a Smart Card on the vehicle next to mine (an old beat up Bug). As I was backing away, I saw that the Bug belonged to the man who was looking at the Wonderful Plan tract I had left on the counter. The one who I regretted not giving a tract to! Isn't that awesome!?

What I Learned Today

First, I realized that it isn't a coincidence when we hand someone a tract or talk to them. If God knows (and He does) that we will hand someone a tract when we are at "such-and-such a place" then I believe that He would make sure that the right people are at that location to receive the tract or to be talked with.

Second, besides talking with my orthodontist, it was easy and it didn't take any more time than if I hadn't done anything. But, here is what is amazing (and this is why we all need to be out there doing this stuff all the time - me included!)... At least eleven seeds of faith were planted today that would not have been if I had chosen to not try this out! And, I was able to do it with three children in tow.

I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith,
so that you will have a full understanding
of every good thing we have in Christ.
Philemon 1:6

No comments: