August 2, 2007

Fountain Man

Jan W. and I were together when we started walking around the mall tonight. She was pushing the B.'s kids in the stroller, and they wanted to see the fountain. There was a man sitting on the edge right next to where I stood. I prayed about whether I should speak to him about the Lord, but I was hesitant. I thought, "You're standing right next to him and he's not leaving... why don't you just talk to him??" So I asked him, "Have you seen one of these?" and showed him a Smartcard.

He said, "No" so I told him about putting his finger on the square to see if it turns green and asked him if he thought he was a good person. He said, "No" which surprised me. I said, "You don't think you're a good person?" and he said "No" again. Then he said, "Oh, I know where this is going."

I said, "Do you think I'm going to talk to you about spiritual things?" And he said, "Yes," so I asked him, "Do you have any spiritual beliefs?" He answered, "Yes".

Of course I couldn't leave it at that, so I asked, "Do you mind if I ask what they are?" and he said, "Just my own private ones." It was obvious, even though he was being very polite and pleasant, that he wasn't about to open up to me, so I gave him the Smartcard and thanked him for his time.

After I walked to the other side of the fountain, I saw him reading the card intently. Then a few minutes later, Tony walked up and commented on the fact that he saw the man sitting on the fountain reading a Smartcard. The writing on the card is only a paragraph long, so he must have been reading it a second time.

Even though that contact didn't seem very profitable in our eyes, God could have been speaking to that man's heart in mighty ways. We don't know how many of the seeds we sow will sprout into believing faith! So go out and sow those seeds!

No comments: