August 9, 2007

Perfection Like a Crystal Vase

During last night's fishing trip, I was watching the children in the play area when my mom's long-time hairdresser called out to me from a few yards away and then walked up to me and started talking. Really, think about this... That is amazing, huh? I even knew her name and she knew mine. Amazing opportunity. So, we're talking about our children, work, school, etc. and I'm standing there knowing that this is not a coincidence and that I needed to talk to her but I was scared. I was thinking things like, "Eye, yeyea... What will my mom say? Will she get upset if her hairdresser gets upset? Well, I was planning on not talking to people tonight so I can let myself off the hook for not talking to her." Stuff like that. Well, I need to fear God, not man (the hairdresser), so I stepped out in faith and just asked her that first question (which is always the hardest part, by the way).

I just kept asking her questions... "If you were to die tonight, are you 100-percent sure you would go to Heaven? Why? What did God do to make it possible for you to go to Heaven? Is there a hell? Who goes there? What role does Jesus play in all of this? Do you desire to have a relationship with God? (Answer was "yes") Etc." The questions I asked were tailored to the answers she was giving me - not a preformed plan. While she was talking, I realized that this really was not a coincidence because she was so ripe for the Gospel message. Because of this, I almost gave her the Gospel without going through the Law first. But, then decided that since I had been trained that the Law makes a way for the Good News, then that is what I needed to do first. Looking back, I'm so very glad that I spoke of the Law first. Why?

We all think we are good people. It's true. Even though we know that 'sin' separates us from a Holy and Righteous God, we still think that we are pretty darn good when it is all weighed out. Wrong. For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. James 2:10 If you had a rare Waterford crystal vase and you cracked it only once, it is ruined, right? It's not worth what it was before the crack. It's the same way with the Law of God - we break (or crack) it once and we're done - ruined - destined for hell, folks. Seriously. We don't have to shatter the thing to know that it is no longer perfect. We can do all the walking we want on our "journey" to God, but we're just fooling, and pacifying, ourselves into believing a lie - the lie that we are somehow good enough. Don't believe me? Does He have a wonderful plan for your life? Click here to test yourself on your goodness and find out where you rank in God's eyes.

Oh, yes, once she saw her need for a savior, Jesus Christ really was Good News! With a big smile on her face, my mom's hairdresser told me, "Thank you!" By the way, I think that has been my first, "Thank you," which was really neat.

-Sarah

No comments: