August 22, 2007

Fear & Being Weird

At the mall tonight I started out kinda high-strung and frustrated because I had my dad with me and I was trying to do this witnessing thing in my own strength - at first. Then, I ran into Tony and I said that I didn't want to start a conversation in a particular way because it would feel/look weird. Tony said something about it all looking weird (?) anyway.

This was humbling for me because then I got really fearful and "weirded out" about the whole thing. I kept saying to myself, "This is really weird. You're really weird. People are going to think you're really weird," over and over again. I wanted the hour to be over with! I wanted out! I finally pulled out a Survey Pad Tract because I knew that Tony had luck with that during fearful moments. I went through the survey with a woman but didn't have the guts to go over the answers with her so I just gave it to her and told her to check her answers on the back.

But, between all these other things happening, I did talk to a young man and that went so very well - probably one of the best conversations I've ever had with someone. And, yet, I was still walking around weirded out! Usually I'm jazzed. Then I talked with two young women and that was also one of the best conversations I've ever had with people.

And then it was time to go eat... And, I was relieved. But, I am thankful for tonight. I know God must have used all this to humble me...

-Sarah

No comments: