August 3, 2007

Jericho Jog

Have you ever gone on a "Jericho Jog"? Or a "Mall Marathon"? No? Well, perhaps you've never thought of the ministry you can have in your own neighborhood, mall, or city by jogging or walking while you pray for every person you meet, or all who live in the houses you pass. Don't think this is just silly. Recently I had a great answer to a prayer which I had been lifting up for a neighbor of mine for 3 years. I had said something VERY unkind to her in anger. As soon as she walked away, like a knife in my heart ,I thought of how wicked it was of me to have enjoyed speaking such unkind words while at the same time destroying probably ANY chance for me to witness to her about the love of Jesus.

Well, we had had some storms which had broken many branches off of her trees and littered her yard. She works painstakingly to keep her yard looking good, so God gave me the idea of picking up all the branches, leaves and twigs off her lawn and taking them to the dump for her.

While I was working two girls opened the door to the neighbor's deck and asked me if I needed any help. I had hoped that no one would see me working, but I just told them that I was doing fine and that I just wanted to help out their mom by taking the branches to the dump.

Long story short--my neighbor saw me loading up the branches for the dump and she actually spoke kindly to me. I could tell that my actions took her by surprise in a good way.

So if you walk at the mall for exercise, or around the block, or whatever, take time to pray for those around you. That is an easy way to make a difference. I know of several short-term mission groups that build this exercise into their first day of ministry. So, now you know that anybody can minister, even if you are too shy to speak and even too shy to witness with other believers. It only takes one step to start the journey to lifestyle evangelism.

S. R. C.

No comments: