August 22, 2007

Conversations and seeds

Last week at the mall, I had the opportunity to share the Gospel with someone who had never heard it before! I gave her a tract and asked if she knew what happens when a person dies. She basically thought that being good would be enough to get to heaven. I went through the questions, shared the law and why a good judge cannot let sin go unpunished. She seemed to understand the problem, stopped making excuses, and seemed genuinely humbled. She said yes, it does concern her. I shared how Jesus paid the price for our sins, and how she could have forgiveness. I explained it several times, and she seemed glad to hear it. She said that she had gone to church that Sunday with a friend - maybe God has been working in her heart! This was the first time I've had a conversation that didn't get interrupted. In fact, at one point she ignored a phone call and told her friend to wait until we were done talking! Pray that God would continue to reveal Himself to her and bring the right people into her life.

As I was leaving the mall, I stopped and talked to a group of college-aged kids. They said that "everyone has their own beliefs" and that we should find what works for ourselves. I shared that the Bible has specific information about our eternal destination. They asked how I knew the Bible is true - funny, I had read pp. 154-158 of "One Thing You Can't Do In Heaven" earlier that day, so I had an answer ready! (explain the historical evidence, archaeological evidence, and fulfilled prophecies) They eventually had to leave, but I left them with several tracts and hopefully some persistent questions about eternity.

It's still a bit difficult to start conversations with strangers, but practice and lots of prayer have made a big difference. Once I actually do it, fear seems to fade into the background and the knowledge that I can't fail gives me peace. God does the work, not me!

- Sam H.

1 comment:

Tony and Lisa said...

May God reward you for being faithful! Lisa

"Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!" Romans 10:13b-15