August 22, 2007

Three Teens at the Mall

Tonight at the mall I witnessed to 3 teenage boys. Sam had already given them an "Are You A Good Person?" tract earlier, but he hadn't talked to them. He said they were positive about receiving the tract so I felt good about verbally talking to them.

I asked them if they'd ever seen a Smart Card, and one of them immediately took it from me to put his thumb on the square. They all 3 said they were good people. As the square remained uncolored for each in turn, they emphatically told me they REALLY are good people. I was amazed at their self-confidence!

Even when I said "good" means "morally perfect", they were adamant that they were good.

One of the boys was somewhat flippant as I shared the law with him. He insisted he'd never lied in his life. It was obvious he thought our conversation was funny. I told him the beginning of the judge analogy, and he responded by saying that a court judge is different than God because God is totally merciful. I praised him on his correct theology about God but told him God is a Totally Righteous Judge who can't just forgive our sins because we ask him.

About that time, the other 2 boys excused themselves and said they'd be right back.

I asked the other boy, "If you die tonight, are you 100% sure you would go to Heaven?" He said, "No."

I asked him if he thought God would send him to Heaven or Hell based on his imperfection. He became much more serious and said, "I think I would go to Hell." Noticing his change of countenance, I asked him if that concerned him, and he sincerely said, "Yes". Then I knew he was ready for the Good News!

I started by telling him the end of the judge analogy. I reminded him of the huge fine he owed and how the judge was going to throw him in jail for not being able to pay it. I then said, "Imagine the judge taking off his robe, coming around the bench and paying the fine for you. That's what Jesus did for you on the cross. He paid the penalty for all those sins you've committed."

I wish you all could have seen his eyes and face when he heard those words. I wonder if young men his age are particularly sensitive to the idea of a judge pronouncing them "guilty" for a wrong they have done. The idea of someone paying that fine for them and them being able to go free seemed especially wonderful to him!

By this time the other boys came back, and I talked to them all a little more. I challenged them to search out the Truth for themselves and gave them Gospels of John. One of the young men told me he had only gone to church ~10 times in his life. They were all so pleased that I talked to them about spiritual things.

Please pray they will read the Gospels and tracts I gave them and that the Holy Spirit will open their hearts and give them faith to believe!

-Lisa

No comments: